69kV Statewide Initiative
PSE&G is currently conducting statewide electric reliability improvements to upgrade its utility infrastructure. These upgrades will increase both electric service reliability and system redundancy to ensure safe and reliable electric service to our customers.
Throughout PSE&G service territory, PSE&G infrastructure upgrades include the addition of a 69kV network that will alleviate the demand on the existing 26kV network. These projects will install 69kV circuits connecting stations to each other.
- New 69kV Gas Insulated Switchgear (GIS) will be installed at various stations throughout the state.
- The new GIS, which will be housed indoors, allows for the addition of increased voltage capacity without significantly expanding the station footprint, as would have been required using the existing Air Insulated Switchgear technology.
- Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) technology will be installed at all substations to remotely monitor and control the equipment.
- New 69kV circuits are being installed to connect each of the upgraded substations, thereby increasing electric reliability to meet the current and future demands of our customers.
- The existing utility poles will be replaced with taller sturdier poles that combine existing 26kV, 13kV, or 4kV circuits.
- Underground construction will take place according to state regulations and field conditions.
- Substation and pole line construction is currently scheduled through 2025.
These upgrades will enhance electric capacity, system redundancy, and service reliability for the entire New Jersey service area.
How will customers benefit?
- Increased power capacity: With 300% more capacity, the new lines will better support our modern, technology-driven lifestyles, including work-at-home schedules, increased electronics usage, and expanding electric vehicle adoption.
- Fewer and shorter outages: Smart sensors and relays will be added to automatically detect problems and redirect the flow of electricity, reducing outages and expediting restorations.
- Supporting clean energy: A smarter grid will connect customers with renewables like solar and offshore wind. A more robust electric network is vital to New Jersey’s clean energy vision.
If you have questions or concerns call our toll free number at 1-800-901-5035 (for Bergen, Passaic), or 1-877-462-0005 (Hudson, Essex), or 1-800-606-0045 (for Somerset, Union, Hunterdon and Middlesex, Mercer, Burlington, Camden or Gloucester).